POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Snail racing is more exciting : Re: Snail racing is more exciting Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:16:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Snail racing is more exciting
From: Rune
Date: 25 Aug 2002 08:29:21
Message: <3d68cda1@news.povray.org>
I assume you have individual textures for each blob component. When
giving individual blob components textures with reflection and/or
refraction, the render time is extremely slow. The reason is that
POV-Ray traces the reflected and refracted rays for each texture that is
averaged, so with many blob components occupying the same space, that's
a lot of rays.

On my POV-Ray wish list is the ability to tell POV-Ray to average the
blob component textures in a different way. I would like POV-Ray to
average the pigment, normal and finish independently, and only *after*
that trace the reflected and refracted rays, so that it's only done
once. In most cases that's what you want anyway, but still the feature
should be optional.

Rune
rune|vision:  http://runevision.com (updated July 12)